Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 2010-I will win this time


2007
The new year brought with it
angst and music
long nighttime drives
and memories sorely abused
to fit my skewed reality

Under that street light I confessed
how blessed I felt to know her
and how I wanted to do so much more
yet she said little and left me
with nothing more than a smile and
an invite to keep living in my own head

How upset I was when I got that letter

2008
started great if not much the same
but my spiel was cut into by texts
(not mine) flittering into her phone
little did I know of what steady hands
I dug my grave with

A month of waiting and what I was
presented with after such perseverance was
nothing more than angry words exchanged
over a candy filled cabinet

This time I was left breaking cupboards.

2009
Had two great weeks.
Week one pertained to
Slightly awkward talks over coffee
as well as laughter as we playfully mocked
each other, we had such fun.

Week two was even better,
an hour long destination
didn't deter us from what was to come
and the drive back was insightful if not remarkable
I left her on her doorstep as the tension finally broke
through our fingers

Then unsaid words spoke volumes of what
I turned a deaf ear to.
Then she and him tried picking
up their broken pieces.

Chimes and novels accompanied my inward collapse.

2010
and once again I'm writing lines
shoving them under the noses
of people too polite to look away
But maybe this time I'll have less
to write about

Which, honestly, would be a bit of relief

No comments:

Post a Comment